10 Superfoods that Ayurveda wants you to take daily
These days we are hearing a lot about super foods. Super foods are those which load a lot of nutrition into a small amount. Dietary substances that provide large proportions of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants etc are referred as ‘superfoods’. They are a vital part of a truly balanced diet.
Foods or Ahara should have all the six tastes to balance all the Doshas and maintain the balance of the body. As per Ayurveda, Superfoods are those that should be taken on a daily basis to promote digestion and immunity, rejuvenate the body and increase physical and mental strength.
Ayurveda suggests that watching what you eat is the first step to remaining healthy. The following foods can be consumed on a daily basis to maintain health.
- Ghee – Ghee is a must on a daily basis, as per Ayurveda. Ghee is good to improve digestion, improve memory and also positively affects the nervous system. It has a lot of antioxidants. It has anti-ageing property and gives strength to the body. As per modern research, ghee improves and supports probiotic bacteria that is present in the stomach. It contains healthy fats and can be consumed by lactose intolerant people as well. Add 1 tsp ghee along with your dal or use it to stir fry vegetables. But if your digestion is not good, do not use ghee.
- Amla- Amla contains all the nutrients essential vitamins and minerals integral for your growth. Again, Amala is rich in antioxidants. It helps in slowing down overall ageing of a person. It is good for hair also. The main content of Chyavanaprasa is amla. As per ancient story, Chyavana Maharshi got back his youth after having Chyavana prasa.
- Honey- It is one of the best alternatives to white sugar. Good antioxidant. Like white sugar, it will not increase your sugar level too high. Hence it can be used by diabetic patients as well. Always get natural honey with good quality. Use it in raw form. Do not heat it.
- Pomegranate – It is a good source of vitamins, especially vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E, as well as folic acid. Good for improving memory and to reduces stress. Ayurveda says it is good for Tridosha samana, that is it balancesof all the three Doshas
- Green gram – One of the best sources of protein and rich in fibre. It is easy to digest and is nourishing. Hence it can be used anytime. You can make soup as well. Green gram soup is one of the best choices when your digestive system is not that strong and you are feeling weak.
- Red rice and wheat – Carbohydrates in the form of rice or wheat should be a part of your daily diet. It should be whole form, whole wheat or red rice with lot of fibre.
- Grapes – It has all the essential proteins. It helps in healing function. It is good to improve haemoglobin and reduces tiredness.
- Rock salt – It is the best salt according to Ayurveda. We call it as Saindhava. It contains more than 50 trace minerals which is helpful in overall health of a person.
- Green leafy vegetables – Dark green vegetables deliver a bonanza of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Dark green leafy vegetables are among the most nutritious. Include green leaves as salads or in curries or as smoothies etc.
- Triphala with ghee and honey -Triphala is s mix of 3 fruits. Harithaki, Vibhithaki and Amalaki. Triphala powder can be taken at night with ghee and honey. Do not use ghee and honey in same quantity. It is considered poisonous in Ayurveda. Take 1/2tsp ghee and ¼ th tsp honey.